Tammy finally went for a surgery to conclude her back achy problems. We went for many consultations and the solution was a surgery to be done at NUH. The surgery is over already and she’s fine and well at home now. Shall just recall the events that happened.

It started with Tammy’s parents, herself and I bundled up in a taxi to NUH. At the Day Surgery Center, we spend a hell lot of time discussing about payment. I mean it’s a hell lot of money (not a lot of hell money), so proper arrangements have to be made. We chose a private room so that I could stay over! Haha, but I had to sleep on a little couch/chair. I don’t mind, so long as I can watch over my darling.

We hung around at the ward for a little while before nurse after nurse came in asking questions after questions. It’s to make sure of stuff but boy, did it get monotone.. Tammy had to change to this Kimono that was quite cute.

Tams in a Kimono!

Atas Japanese girl removing nail polish

Not long after, she was wheeled out to the Recovery Centre to await surgery. Nobody’s allowed in except authorised personnel but I’m BF so I authorise myself! Tam’s parents did the same. So we prayed first. Helped calm us down. It’s much easier to enter surgery knowing that God is in control and not the surgeons ūüôā We were told that Tams had to wait for about half an hour to an hour because the person before her hasn’t woken up from anesthesia yet. Bummer. My self-authorization wore off and I went back to the ward after saying goodbye.

Tam’s parents decided to walk around the hospital so I just stayed in the ward myself. Tams prepared some videos for me to watch on my PSP, so I was watching a philosophy lecture (interesting but a very repetitive lecturer) and My Neighbour Totoro. Totoro is damn cute! I watched it because I bought a giant Totoro for tams recently. Haha! So after that I was walking around NUH, coordinating meetings with Tam’s frens. I got really anxious when her surgery took longer than expected, factoring in waiting time as mentioned earlier. So I headed off to the Visitor’s Lounge where there was a telephone with which I could enquire the status of the patient and I was told she was still in surgery. Okay, so she started late, felt abit better. Headed back to the ward where tam’s parents were waiting and report. Continued watching Totoro in the ward and met up with Delphine later.

Delphine is super sweet, she bought stuff for Tams to eat and drink. I think she’s a really good friend! Haha. After she arrived I brought her with me back to the visitor’s lounge to enquire about Tams. A nurse called me more than an hour before to say that Tam’s operation is over and she’s under monitoring at the recovery centre. So it’ll take around half an hour to an hour more before she would be released back to the ward. But it’s been more than an hour and she’s still inside. The nurse told me that they were waiting for a porter to send her back. I was WTH?? What so special about a porter? I asked if I could just send her back because waiting for a porter would take 20 minutes. No way I’m going to wait any longer. So of course I wasn’t allowed to send her back, I told them to hurry cuz Delphine was already waiting and Ame and friends were on the way. So I suppose they got a random guy and a nurse to send her back within 5 minutes. See? Gahmen agencies always need a push in the right direction!

So Tams was wheeled out in a bed but she was already awake but really groggy and I was SUPER HAPPY!!! The worst was over kind of thing. I’m just so glad that she’s alright. Delphine and I tried to talk to her and she was quite herself already. All her¬†anaesthesia¬†fears didn’t come to pass. WHEW!

Soon Ame and friends came over and we all started talking. Ame brought milk bubble tea for Tams and everyone was sort of playing with the bottle of slipped disc. (Yes the doctors, put the portions they cut off into a little bottle and gave it to us to keep. It looked like white mush in a dilute red solution.) Everyone was talking and chatting, Tams was pretty awake alr. Oh, Tam’s parents left after she returned to the ward because it was getting late.

Once everyone left it was just Tams and me in the ward. Finally we could eat dinner which was about 11. I tar pau-ed food from home which I cooked before lunch. Rice with Yaki Niku beef and veg packed into my brand new locknlock lunch box. Tams had really bland porridge. She actually ordered a western menu which TWO nurses took down but she wound up with a Chinese menu instead. She was pretty angry. So I donated some beef to flavour the porridge.


If, for whatever reason, I am hospitalised. ALL visitors MUST BRING FOOD. Not fruit baskets, but proper food like beehoon and bak chor mee or sth. I will NOT eat hospital food as well as fruit unless absolutely necessary. Period.

So thus I conclude that hospital food is terrible. That night shattered my notions of hospital food tasting like airline food. Because I absolutely LOVE airline food. They always serve¬†sachets¬†of salt and pepper… Lovely..

Night time was pretty romantic even if it’s in a hospital. We talked about stuff and basically kept each other company even if she has a drip on one arm and a blood-pressure strap around the other. I slept at the foot of the bed stretched out onto a sofa/chair. Tams thought I was cute beyond measure and insisted on taking photos of me asleep. I was extremely annoyed since I was really tired. My theory was that Tams had loads of energy since she was asleep for a pretty long time. But who can get angry at such a cute gf right? (heh heh)

A very annoyed me holding Tam's hand.

Throughout the night, my sleep was rudely interrupted by the hourly whooshing of the blood-pressure machine attempting to take a reading from Tams and also by the random visits by the nurses who do the weirdest things like inject antibiotics into Tams via her IV drip connector thingy on her hand which I fondly recall as a wrist-mounted blaster. PEW PEW lasers! Lolx. Therefore I was still very tired in the morning and Tams was still wide awake and still VERY amused with me sleeping at the foot of the bed. Breakfast was bread and butter and jam. Heck it wasn’t even butter, it was VEGETABLE FAT. Not butter, not margarine but vegetable fat. And I thought that vegetables were healthy. Apparently you can squeeze oil out of Kai Lan or cabbages or something. Pardon my ignorance towards botany and whatever natural science field the study of vegetables belong to, I’m only joking so let me be. So therefore, I would like to reiterate:


If, for whatever reason, I am hospitalised. ALL visitors MUST BRING FOOD. Not fruit baskets, but proper food like beehoon and bak chor mee or sth. I will NOT eat hospital food as well as fruit unless absolutely necessary. Period.

Because I simply detest eating bread, especially with only butter¬†margarine vegetable fat and jam. DOUBLE period. Hence, I went over to the resident Kopitiam franchise and bought breakfast for myself as well as some other breakfast top ups for Tams. The only saving grace of hospital food is the milo. Gosh, it’s Milo-Gau (or very thick milo with loads of evaporated milk) all the time. Yums and hooray for tooth decay!

Very soon, nurses came in to check on Tams and feed her with medicine and pump more antibiotics into her wrist blaster. A very incompetent nurse went to poke around Tam’s wound causing intense pain and prompting intense cursing once the nurse left. So we stayed in the ward until the pain subsided while watching Discovery Channel. Some man was trying to survive in a jungle and another looney Ang Moh man was trying to get a tattoo from a weird native¬†Philippine¬†tribe.

Tams and I left the ward at circa 12.00 pm and my story will end here because the story that comes after would just be a sleepy me dragging my fatigued body back to simei for a nice good rest.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s